The Local Authority will intervene if they have reason to believe that a child has suffered or is at risk of suffering harm as a result of the care they are being given. This can result in the Local Authority issuing the following applications at Court in respect of children:

  • Care Orders
  • Interim Care Orders
  • Supervision Orders
  • Emergency Protection Orders
  • Police Protection Orders
  • Special Guardianship Orders
  • Placement Orders

Prior to proceedings the Local Authority can also become involved if they have concerns around the ability of parents/guardians to care for a child and can require attendance at the following meetings:

  • Pre-Proceedings Meetings (Public Law Outline Meetings “PLOs”)
  • Child Protection Review Conferences
  • Child Arrangement Orders
  • Initial Child Protection Case Conference

It is important that you seek legal advice if the Local Authority have concerns about your ability to care for your child. This is to ensure you fully understand the situation and its consequences, whilst ensuring your child’s best interests are of the utmost priority.

The prospect of dealing with any of the above can be extremely daunting but our experienced, approachable and efficient team can advise you through the process to make sure you follow the Proceedings in the correct way. This also includes representing you at Court where necessary.

Public funding (Legal Aid) is automatically available to parents and children involved in most Care Proceedings. Public funding may also be available to other family members subject to financial eligibility. Public funding can also be available for Local Authority involvement pre-proceedings but in some instances is means tested.

Speak to a member of our Family Law team for more information

Call our offices on 0191 567 0465 or Request a call back

What our clients say